I Hear the Baby Birds

Sunday, October 23, 2005

There's No Place Like Home

We're home.

I really like taking vacations, but the very best part, to me, is coming home and seeing the place with new eyes. I always have a renewed sense of gratitude and appreciation for home when I return from a long trip. Do you remember this scene from The Wind in the Willows?


We others, who have long lost the more subtle of the physical senses, have not even proper terms to express an animal's inter-communications with his surroundings, living or otherwise, and have only the word `smell,' for instance, to include the whole range of delicate thrills which murmur in the nose of the animal night and day, summoning, warning? inciting, repelling. It was one of these mysterious fairy calls from out the void that suddenly reached Mole in the darkness, making him tingle throughand through with its very familiar appeal, even while yet he could not clearly remember what it was. He stopped dead in his tracks, his nose searching hither and thither in its efforts to recapture the fine filament, the telegraphic current, that had so strongly moved him. A moment, and he had caught it again; and with it this time came recollection in fullest flood.

Home! That was what they meant, those caressing appeals, those soft touches wafted through the air, those invisible little hands pulling and tugging, all one way! Why, it must be quite close by him at that moment, his old home that he had hurriedly forsaken and never sought again, that day when he first found the river! And now it was sending out its scouts and its messengers to capture him and bring him in. Since his escape on that bright morning he had hardly given it a thought, so absorbed had he been in his new life, in all its pleasures, its surprises, its fresh and captivating experiences. Now, with a rush of old memories, how clearly it stood up before him, in the darkness! Shabby indeed, and small and poorly furnished, and yet his, the home he had made for himself, the home he had been so happy to get back to after his day's work. And the home had been happy with him, too, evidently, and was missing him, and wanted him back,and was telling him so, through his nose, sorrowfully, reproachfully, but with no bitterness or anger; only with plaintive reminder that it was there, and wanted him.

The call was clear, the summons was plain. He must obey it instantly, and go.

That's how I feel about home. When I'm off adventuring, I'm absorbed in my "new life, in all its pleasures." But when I get close enough to home to smell it, it's all I want. How grateful I am to be here again!

Next entry I'll tell you where we went and what we did. But for now, here's a little hint. Can you guess where we were? (You have to look carefully - it's not what it appears to be!)?

Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

  • At 8:35 PM, Blogger Patty in WA or Rover said…

    You went to LEGOLAND?

    Missed you. Welcome home.

     
  • At 7:26 PM, Blogger Dy said…

    ROFLMBO!!! Oh. My. Goodness. That is *exactly* where I was going to guess!

    I'm glad you're back. You've been missed.

    Dy, who kept coming to visit, even though I *knew* you were gone. I'm a dork, I know.

     
  • At 2:08 PM, Blogger Mamabird said…

    Wow, you guys got it on the FIRST TRY! Sigh. I figured maybe I'd get a few wrong guesses - but then again, Legoland seemed really exotic to me, as we have nothing like it in my neck of the woods and I don't personally know a lot of people who've been.

    And Dy, I'm SO TOUCHED you kept visiting while I was gone! Gosh, that makes my day.

    'Nother post soon about the joys of air travel with three kids!

    MB

     
  • At 5:07 PM, Blogger Patty in WA or Rover said…

    You know, it's funny because I didn't consciously notice it when I was guessing...but when I looked at the picture again, I noticed that there were some big trees in back of the skyscrapers. My subconscious must have picked up on that, because nowhere on EARTH do trees grow THAT big!

    Glad to have you back.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home