I Hear the Baby Birds

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Bedtime Story

We settle into the papasan chair, the Chair of Goodness just big enough for the both of us that is tucked into the dormer space with sunlight filtering through the half-closed blinds. She is the mama; I am the sweetheart. Her 6 year old weight settles against my side and her hair falls onto my cheek. "Now, honey, I'm going to read you a story."

"Thanks, Mommy," I say. "Can it be a bedtime story? I'm sleepy."

"Sure, sweetie," she graciously agrees. So I close my eyes. She opens the book.

"Slam and Dunk and The Big Game. See that & sign? It means 'and.'"

"Oh."

And so she reads, faltering only over a few words, but not the hardest ones. She sounds out "basketball" and "game" all by herself, but she has trouble with "what." When we get to it, she says, "Now, honey, what does this word say?"

"I don't know, Mommy. You read it to me."

"No, honey, you can do it. Sound it out." (Ha. She got me.)

"Okay. W... whhhh... whaaaaa..... what!"

"Very good, sweetie. What!" And seamlessly, naturally, she continues the story. Slam and Dunk win the game. Mom wins 20 sweet, drowsy minutes with her eyes closed and her baby curled up next to her, practicing phonics. DD wins time alone with mom and the chance to be the mommy for once.

The best of homeschooling.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:29 AM, Blogger Dy said…

    The best of motherhood, too. This was absolutely beautiful.

    Happy Day.
    Dy

     

Post a Comment

<< Home