I Hear the Baby Birds

Saturday, January 14, 2006

Shock and Disbelief

Randi St. Denis is a local homeschooling mom who for years has been the organizer of a local (and wonderful) homeschooling convention held annually in metro Atlanta. Recently her family has been the victim of a great tragedy, and to add trauma to an already terrible experience, DFACS has seized their grandson.

You can read the details
here.

I am shocked and horrified.

I do know that there are two sides to every story... and I do know that sometimes we snap to judgment when we don't have the full picture... but wow. This woman has a pretty impeccable record of public service to homeschoolers and regular schoolers alike. She puts on numerous (free) workshops for parents throughout the year. She and her husband generously offer their time, their wisdom, and their hearts to children all over the state of Georgia every year. And none of this generosity or public service seems to have made a whit of difference to DFACS. I wonder if it even made her a target.

If you are a praying person, would you consider praying for the safety of this poor child? I cannot imagine how confused and afraid he must be right now.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:22 PM, Blogger Mamabird said…

    Whew. This just keeps getting worse and worse.

    It makes me wonder if there would have been some other strategy more effective for getting Jack back quickly... or if they were doomed from the start, no matter what they tried. I read on the blog today that the head of DFACS accused them outright of killing Dylan by shaking him. And I do not believe that for a second.

    I know you never really "know" about people. I know child abuse happens in families where you wouldn't expect it. But... come on. There's common sense that should be brought to bear, here. We have a family with absolutely no history of violence, instability, or mental illness -whatsoever... a family with a very public reputation for honoring children, supporting families, working on behalf of children who need help... and our first assumption about them when tragedy strikes is that they are abusive? The evidence does not add up.

    I am still heavy-hearted about the whole thing. That poor little boy does not understand why he can't be with his mom and dad.

    Ugh.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home