I Hear the Baby Birds

Friday, December 16, 2005

Favorite Christmas Ornament

Reading a few of my regularly-read blogs today, I've enjoyed several posts featuring favorite Christmas ornaments. So I just have to follow suit, only my favorite ornament doesn't hang on the tree. It is a very special Nativity set, made by my middle ds, when he was 6 years old, in a pottery class:

Posted by Picasa

You probably can't see this, but the eyes on these figures were formed by his six-year-old thumbnail pressed gently into the soft clay.

He will never be six again. But I will always, always have his thumbnail-prints, even when he is a grown man with children of his own and I am very old and in a nursing home and forced to choose the five or six possessions I am allowed to take with me into my sad and lonely room. I will not be so lonely with my little Nativity set there to remind me of ds.

1 Comments:

  • At 5:27 AM, Blogger Donna Boucher said…

    Your nativity is truly a treasure!!!

    Not only is it precious because your little son made it...
    but it is actually fantastic looking!

    Wow!

    Thank you for sharing it with us!

    Donna

     

Post a Comment

<< Home