I Hear the Baby Birds

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

How To Kill Bugs, Um, I Mean Insects

Dy asked, and I answer: How to Go on a Six-Legged Killing Spree.

One, you could make a killing jar. (See instructions here.)

Which can kill one bug at a time. Which takes an hour per bug. Which will not allow for the mass murder of the many insects you might happen to need RIGHT AWAY for your impending science project deadline.

So, you could go to method 2. Cruder, but perfect for a killing spree.

You need plastic ziplock bags, cotton balls, and the kind of nail polish remover that does NOT say "acetone free." You want the acetone. It is your secret sauce. You also want a partner. Insect devastation is no fun alone.


Now, go where there are bugs. Turn a ziplock bag inside out and put it over your hand, like a glove. Pounce upon the poor grasshopper, ant, or stinkbug that you crave. Once it is in your plastic-covered hand, turn the bag back over the bug where it is right-side-in again, with the bug safely inside. Now, have your buddy put some acetone on a cotton ball and quickly drop that cotton ball into your bag. Seal it! The bug will hate it, but he will die quickly, while you have moved on to the next bag, the next bug. And the actone will help preserve him for your collection.

Butterflies and bees can be caught more effectively with little plastic containers - margarine tubs, disposable Glad-ware, old Bell jars. A net helps TREMENDOUSLY. Same acetone-soaked-cotton-ball for the murder weapon. (Note - science books will tell you to pinch the butterfly in the thorax, to keep it from damaging its wings in your killing jar. This is hogwash. You are much more likely to mutilate the wings trying to pinch the stupid thorax than you are just putting it in your container and taking your chances. Trust me.)

There you have it. Now I'm sure I'll have PETA knocking on my door or demonstrating in front of my house. Maybe for good reason... this insect-collecting thing is addictive. I went running this weekend and saw more flying weebies and wanted to catch them! My preciousssssssss.......

1 Comments:

  • At 8:06 PM, Blogger Dy said…

    Oh, my, how I enjoyed reading this! THANK YOU, from the bottom of my (evidently sadistic) heart.

    We'll have to start a killing spree soon.

    Dy

     

Post a Comment

<< Home