I Hear the Baby Birds

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Halloween Skirmish

This year my kids won what they consider a major victory in the kids-vs.-mom wars. For years, I've held my ground against what I consider to be "scary" Halloween costumes. My reasoning was that our family doesn't "do" gory movies like Scream or Friday the 13th or Nightmare on Elm Street, so why should we dress up like characters from those movies when there are so many other choices out there? No blood, no axes, no chainsaws. Not now, not ever.

For years, our compromise was: Ninjas. Ninjas fell somewhere in the middle between cartoony-superheroes and ultra-cool-scary-masks. Ninja costumes came in a variety of colors and decorations, they had cool face covers, and they carried swords. Mom liked the historical connection. Kids liked the bad-guy connection. Everyone was happy.

But this year, ninjas weren't right either. So we stood in the aisle at the costume store for a long, long time. The pickings were slim. They didn't want superheroes, which I understood - it's hard to feel cool as a 12-year-old Batman when the 4-year-old neighbor next door has the same getup. They're not quite mature enough to see the humor in dressing up like a garbage pail or a gorilla, like a college kid might do. And they'd been ninjas forever and forever. Except for the Lord of the Rings year. Which meant that the only section left for us was... Horror.

So I thought, and I thought. And I thought, well, they're preteen boys. With only a scant few years left before people start looking funny at them for trick-or-treating at all. I do understand the desire to be "cool." And, there were a few choices in Horror that weren't Scream or Jason or Freddy. Or bloody.

So we settled on the Evil Jester (with the mask with a wicked grin) and the Crypt Monster (with the creepy chestplate and horns on his head). There was still no blood, still no tie-ins to silly plot-less no-brainer Hollywood drivel. But they were SCARY.

(I did tell them they were not allowed to make scary noises at the little kids. And, to their credit, they looked at me as if I'd told them not to set their own hair on fire. You know the look, the one that says, "Of course not, Mom, what kind of morons do you think we are?")

I think the costumes were a success. They each came home with about 50 pounds of candy apiece, which they'll probably devour in secret in less than 3 days.

Pictures are forthcoming. As soon as I figure out where I put my camera.

P.S. The cutest costume I saw all night was a little boy who'd made his own Spongebob outfit out of a cardboard box. It was AWESOME. He used exactly the right shades of poster paint and he made a paper nose that stuck out just like the Bob's does. He was So. Cute.

3 Comments:

  • At 5:14 PM, Blogger Patty in WA or Rover said…

    I had this same concern this year, not with my son but with the boy he has a tradition of trickrtreating with. This year, said boy decided to be (basically) a wounded bleeding corpse of evil person. I didn't even want to GO. I didn't know what to do, because my own son has a very funny response to the scary stuff...

    Every year, we go to the Halloween costume store. He walks with his eyes on the floor straight to the Star Wars costumes, and looks for one he wants. If he doesn't see one he wants, he asks for help. We either buy one or we get out of there. This year, I wandered over to the adult section to look for a small adult Anakin, as there were no kid sizes. My son would not even come across the store to get me. He said those stores just creep him out. (This is not something I have taught him. He just knows better than to be around creepy stuff because he WILL have nightmares.)

    Anyway, I didn't know what to do socially, as this is a big party every year with all the adults, too. And I prayed. But guess what happened? For the first time, they CANCELLED the party. I was so relieved.

    Boy and I went out trickrtreating. I wore a fuzzy white coat, with a big hood, and stayed far at the end of the driveways while he rang the bells. One lady asked him, "Who are YOU trickrtreating with?" He said, "With my mom. She's a sheep!" (I busted up, and gave a big BAAAAA!) In a minute or so, I asked him if I had embarrassed him. He said, "No, it was just weird. (beat beat) But weird is good." And he was smiling.

     
  • At 5:00 AM, Blogger Dy said…

    I LOVE it when we remind the boys not to do something (something other children actually DO, which triggers our reminder) and they look at us like that - as if it's a no-brainer and WHY would we say that. It's a warm fuzzy for me that gets tucked away for the days when I overhear them bickering and one of them threatens to vomit on the other one... it all balances out, I think, but hopefully for the good.

    Happy Day!
    Dy

     
  • At 6:42 AM, Blogger Mamabird said…

    A sheep? That's priceless, Patty!

    When I was in high school, one Halloween day a girl I knew wore a purple sweatshirt with hood. Lots of people were dressed up for Halloween, so she improvised. She pulled the hood over her head, drew the drawstring opening closed, and announced, "I'm a grape!"

    Yes, boys like your Boy are reason number 101 why we don't do blood and corpses and axes and stuff on Halloween. I really don't mind the cartoony witches and Caspar ghosts and Scooby-Doo zombies with wrappings fall off of their elbows. I think poking fun at those things,treating them as make-believe kid stuff, makes them lose their power. It's when people get all serious and Hollywood-realistic that I have an issue with them. For one, they skirt too close to real-life violence, about which there is nothing funny or redeeming. For two, they're just unpleasant to look at. For three, they're base. Not clever, not funny, just coarse. Exactly what I'm trying to steer my kids away from.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home