I Hear the Baby Birds

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Bad Guy No More

Well, the past two days have been what I consider successful. We got up on time, worked from a list, and got to just about every subject on both days - math, grammar, Latin, reading, handwriting, history, and science.

I know, you're as shocked as I am. But I'm telling you, last Friday kicked my butt. I decided it was time to GET ORGANIZED! And organized I did get. Let me tell ya...

One thing we did was to "nuke" our old computer in the homeschool room and set it up as if it were brand new. This was mostly dh's doing, him being the incredible computer geek in the family, but I did help by transferring all the photos off of that computer to save them from the certain doom that reformatting brings. He, however, went above and beyond, not only getting everything back in pristine and fast-running condition, but he also went out and bought us a new flat-screen monitor, so now I actually have ROOM on that tiny computer desk! Woo hoo!

The next thing I did was install this new software I bought at the homeschool convention - EduTrack. It's taken me a little time and energy to figure out how the thing works - but man, was that a worthwhile investment. I figured out how to put in all the kids lessons for every subject, and I went through the first quarter. (Painful experience has taught me never to plan out the whole year at once. Total. Waste. Of. Time.) THEN it let me print out a weekly assignment sheet for each kid.

This thing is going to save me MAJOR time. Now that I have the "bones" of everybody's lessons plugged in, I can replicate them for future lessons. I can add, delete, and tweak to my heart's content. And I do not have to type up individual assignment sheets for each kid once I've done my lesson plans... this thing does it for me. Woo hoo!

The program does more than I have yet explored. There are places to record grades and resources and library book lists and stuff you've loaned out to other people... but I don't need all that yet. For now, I'm happy that I've finally got something that will let me MAKE A LIST for each of my kids to which they can be accountable. Now the LIST can be the bad guy... not me. (heh, heh, heh... evil laugh)

That is helpful to a homeschooling mom, isn't it? Anything we can do to help our kids see that we are ON their side and not TORTURING them with our insistence that they learn something is just pure gold.

Sigh of relief. Now I'm off to work on business stuff. I have a deadline at dh's work and now that he's helped me out, I can't very well blow him off, can I?

Happy schooling!

2 Comments:

  • At 9:23 PM, Blogger Dy said…

    Oooo, that sounds nice! I am so tempted to buy this. I've tried Homeschool Tracker, but the one thing I wanted it for - the lists - prints is such huge columns that it takes a TON of ink and paper to print pages for each boy. I ended up with more paper lists than their actual work. *sigh*

     
  • At 9:38 AM, Blogger Mamabird said…

    Yeah, I looked at Homeschool Tracker too... it cost less, so I was tempted. But Edu Track was at the homeschool convention, so I could see it and talk to someone who knew how to use it. That made all the difference - once I saw it I knew it would work for us. And it has, so far!

    It's so hard to find stuff that "thinks" the way I do, kwim?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home