I Hear the Baby Birds

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Back to School... Sort of

If you want to read a great post about getting everything done in your homeschool, you have come to the wrong place. You should go and read Melissa's blog. She gets stuff DONE.

Me? I start back to school, get a couple of days of math and reading underway, and then head to Six Flags!

Back in the spring we went to Homeschool Day at Six Flags (which rocks, btw - low crowds, temps in the low 80's, and clean shining happy homeschooling faces everywhere you turn). One of the little perks of Homeschool Day is the chance to buy a slightly more expensive ticket that includes not only lunch but a free second day. You can come back to Six Flags any day except a Saturday until summer is over.

Needless to say, we forgot all about those tickets until Monday, when we started back to school. Then, facing the horrible prospect of Saxon PreAlgebra, my 12yo ds gets desperate - "Hey Mom! We never did use those return tickets to Six Flags!" I dig through the junk drawer... sure enough, there they are... good until this Friday.

Well, what's the point of starting school 2 days earlier than everyone else unless we use those extra days for some fun? And go "na, na na boo boo" to all the poor kids who have to get on the yellow school bus?

So yesterday we bagged school and went to Six Flags. We took two friends along for good measure.

In case you were wondering, the first day of school for metro Atlanta is an EXCELLENT day to go to Six Flags. There were practically NO LINES. We waltzed right up to most of the roller coasters. My sons rode Acrophobia and the Free Fall and many other rides multiple times without ever getting off the ride. And me? I rode, among other things, the Scream Machine, the Mindbender, the Scorcher, and Batman. (I did make them all go on the Monster Plantation, though. If they expect me to risk being hurled upside down at vomit-inducing speeds without exacting a little payback in the form of a childish and very sedate ride through the animatronix marsh, they don't know their Momma very well.)

Standing in line for a ride, our 12 year old guest told me, "You're a cool mom." My oldest son smirked, amazingly, in agreement.

Two-day tickets to Six Flags? $125. Lunch in the park? $50. Being called cool by your not-quite-teenaged son and his friend?

Priceless.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:02 PM, Blogger melissa said…

    Sad, but true, I am a member of the No Fun Mom's Club. And I am probably way too neurotic to ever be called cool by any of my kids!(high-fives to you on that one!)Way to go for remembering to keep the fun going!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home