I Hear the Baby Birds

Saturday, July 23, 2005

On The Road Again

Mawwiage... Mawwaige Is What Bwings Us Togevver Today...

Today was my 17th wedding anniversary. It was very romantic. We woke up early in a hotel room with 2 of our 3 kids (one was at camp) and had breakfast at the Waffle House. Then we went back to my grandmother's house to say goodbye after a wonderful visit, leaving her fully herself and knowing that we probably won't see her that way again this side of Heaven. Then we got in the car and drove for 8 hours on the interstate, while our kids alternated between games of "Mom! He's-On-My-Side!" and "Dad! She-Won't-Let-Go-Of-My-Arm!" We had lunch at Subway outside of Charlotte and split a chocolate chip cookie. We didn't get any tickets and we didn't get in any fights with any big trucks.

And, yes, it was romantic. The kind of romance that says, "Hey, babe, I'm here for you, good times and bad." The kind of romance that drops everything so we can be together during a tough time and lets me cry about losing one more thread to my past and gripe about all the crap that annoys me about my family and sit in exhausted silence on the front porch swing without saying a word.

And when we got home, his momma had fixed us dinner. So I got to eat home cooking and didn't have to fix it myself.

This guy is a keeper.

Thanks for your prayers and good thoughts

My visit with my grandmother was really wonderful. She got some meds that relieved her symptoms but cannot cure her underlying condition. Which means that right now she feels fine and doesn't understand what all the fuss is about... which made our visit feel just like normal, which made it all the more sad to me. But it truly was a gift. I think in 2 or 3 months, when she is finally gone, this will be the one visit I remember best and most fondly.

Part 3 Is Still On My Mind

I still have some thoughts composting about homeschooling, which I hope to post soon. But I'm encouraged to find a renewed energy and sense of anticipation about the new year that I'm sure is the result of blogging here. So thanks for your patience and know that I have more to say. Soon.

4 Comments:

  • At 1:21 AM, Blogger Patty in WA or Rover said…

    I'm glad you had time with your grandmother. And you have, and are, a keeper. I know what you mean about this being a very romantic anniversary. I agree with you. Happy Anniversary!

     
  • At 11:39 AM, Blogger Patty in WA or Rover said…

    By the way, very good spelling on the Peter Cook Mawwaige thing...grin

     
  • At 7:38 AM, Blogger Dy said…

    I haven't been able to post, but I've been praying.

    I love the romantic anniversary time together. That's what Laura (linkobutfrus) calls, "The good stuff, the happily ever after." Yeah, it's great to know you're in it together. Happy Anniversary!!!

    {{hugs}} on your grandmother. Loss is never easy for those of us left behind, but I am so very thankful that you had a good visit that you could all cherish. Will continue praying for you all on that front, too.

    Dy

     
  • At 8:23 PM, Blogger keeper said…

    bravo to you & your man..... everyday moments to cherish ..... yes!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home