I Hear the Baby Birds

Friday, August 12, 2005

Balance Due

So you think it's easy, being a Fun Mom? Oh, no. This is work, people, real work, because Fun does not come for Free.

Today we started our Science and Art coop. Did we have our homework done? Nooooo. Up early to fill out worksheets on the Scientific Method. Did we have our supplies packed? Heck, no... you can't pack supplies you HAVEN'T YET BOUGHT. And oh, yeah, Mom, isn't today the day I'm supposed to leave for a fishing trip with Grandpa Doc? Oooh, we could get you packed if we could just do some laundry first. And oh, yeah, remember Mom, you said J. could spend the night and I already invited him and he's going to be here this afternoon and can we have chocolate chip pancakes? Yeah, let me get to the grocery store while you are at Science class. That is, after I go to the art supply store and find #8 watercolor brushes and ebony pencils and sketch pads and marker pads and watercolor pads.

And don't forget your phone appointment with that new employee and here are three thousand emails that demand your urgent and time-consuming attention and your sister called and your other sister called and you're supposed to get your hair cut at 4:00 because if you don't it is going to take on a life of its own and you will resemble Chewbacca which will NOT make a good impression at the parents' meeting tonight which is at 7 pm which is also the same time that DH needs to be at the wake of an old family friend who died on Wednesday instead of at home with the children and the friend who came over to spend the night.

Do NOT ask me, "So, what have you done all day?"

3 Comments:

  • At 5:10 PM, Blogger melissa said…

    WoW (wide-eyed), I knew that there was a reason that I was no fun. That list would send me to the hospital, fer sure. Sounds like you could use some of Dy's rescue remedy. Hope tomorrow is better!

     
  • At 10:31 PM, Blogger Patty in WA or Rover said…

    You kill me! What have I done all day? My son's bidding. Seems like. I kwym. His bd party was yesterday and I used up about 3 weeks worth of "fun mom"ness on that. But it was fun.

     
  • At 7:25 AM, Blogger Dy said…

    ROFL! Yeah, I'd OD on Rescue Remedy and wing it. "No, really, the ancients used actual charcoal for their art. YES, from the grill, just like this. Really."

    "Um, I thought we'd go with the vienna sausage pancakes instead, today. But Look! They're shaped like pigs. Get it? Cool, huh?"

    On the plus side, I have no delusions that I'm the fun mom or that my children don't go running to Dad to beg him to do the Fun Stuff. I know this. But they know I love them, and they love me... in that "she's kinda slow" way.

    Get some relaxation, lady!!
    Dy

     

Post a Comment

<< Home