I Hear the Baby Birds

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

More Movie Ramblin (apostrophe)

My friend Tom K. has alerted me to a review of Hitchhiker’s Guide that has me very, very worried. I will link it here so you too can check it out...

Hitchhiker's Guide review w/o spoilers

After I read this I decided I still have to see the movie, but I DEFINITELY have to lower my expectations. There's a page at this site that lists all the good stuff that was left out. Like the Guide entry on towels. How could they? I mean, really.

But the whole thing has started me thinking about other good books I read as a teenager that probably shoulda, woulda been made into movies but are probably languishing in scripts-rights purgatory. Haven’t you wondered why no one has ever filmed...

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever (Stephen R. Donaldson) ?

or...

The Cat Who Walked Through Walls (or anything else by Robert Heinlein) ?

or, more recently...

Shopgirl (Steve Martin) ?

((Steve Martin wrote a book, you ask? The banjo-pickin’, funny-suit wearin’, SNL swearin’ R-A-M-B-L-I-N-Apostrophe singin’ King Tuttin’ TV and movie comedian? Yeah, he did, and it is GREAT. VERY lyrical, VERY insightful little mood piece that’s pretty sweet and a treat to read. And since he’s a MOVIE STAR and all, why has his book never been made into a movie?))

Okay, Shopgirl's probably not really a great candidate for a movie. But the Donaldson and Heinlein books just cry out for big-screen treatment. Or at least an HBO miniseries. Yeah, the whole Thomas Covenant thing is so dark and layered I could see it going on and on for a few seasons. So HEY! HOLLYWOOD! You readin' this?

Sigh. Didn't think so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home