I Hear the Baby Birds

Saturday, April 02, 2005

The Pleasure of a Good Book

A message board I read almost daily is the General Discussion board at the Well Trained Mind homeschool website (www.welltrainedmind.com). One of the many benefits I glean from this site is book suggestions. There is such a variety of interests among homeschooling parents that I get a broad exposure to a variety of authors and topics - from homemaking how-tos to literary fiction to Christian philosophy to Shakespearean criticism. I love being introduced to new authors on this board because I am rarely disappointed when I read them for myself.

One book I bought recently was suggested by Janie, a homeschool mom whose posts are wise and deep - not surprisingly, as she has graduated at least one child from her homeschool and is deeply involved in her children's and her own lifelong academic growth. The book is James W. Sire's Habits of the Mind. I'm only into chapter 2, and already I'm hooked. There is something so stimulating and challenging about engaging with an author who is truly intellectual - not intellectual as in "smarter-than-thou," but intellectual as in "love-to-explore-great-thoughts." His writing is clear, concise, expressive, and interesting - and I always get a little shiver of delight or joy when I pick up a book and realize that I'm really going to be stretched, mentally, but not condemned. The best authors, to me, are the ones who have great things to say but are secure enough to say them in a clear and accessible manner. Nothing is more frustrating than an author with a need to prove to me, his reader, that he is waaaaaaaaayyy smarter than I could ever hope to be.

I'm also re-reading Pride and Prejudice right now, but skipping through parts of it just so I can get to the really fun stuff - i.e., the scenes between Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy. Mmmmmm, good.

Off to read.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home