I Hear the Baby Birds

Monday, January 22, 2007

A Woman's Place Is In The Bookstore

Last week I had to go on the road to help out DH. While I was gone I spent my days far differently than I normally do... I had long blocks of time with nothing required of me, and then short bursts of intense and focused work. The nothing-required time gave me a rare opportunity: to hang out at the B&N like an unemployed IT guy! Wow, what fun!

I think I read every home decorating magazine out there, a couple of business rags, and lots of bits and pieces, whatever seemed interesting at the time. I also reread Captivating, by John and Stasi Eldredge. It challenged me again to confront what it means to be female - not by examining the hats I wear but by examining my heart, who I am at my core. Fascinating and frightening. Then I came home and went to a marriage conference put on by Dan Allender, where he spent a good part of the weekend analyzing marriage issues in light of what it means to be a man or a woman. I feel like I could spend the next year working out these issues and still only scratch the surface.

Back on the homeschool front, my kids got very little done while I was away. In fact, the amount accomplished follows the age of the kid in a direct and linear fashion: 13yo got almost everything done; 11yo did lots but little math and no grammar (argh!); and 7yo did n.o.t.h.i.n.g. It was a true test of self-control for me today when I discovered her complete lack of progress in anything. But I'm happy to report that there was no yelling, only matter-of-fact consequences. I consider this progress in me (and am happy that God does not yell at me for my lapses).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home