I Hear the Baby Birds

Monday, August 21, 2006

Getting By

Today was a hard day. Don't ask me why, I just don't know. Everything was just hard. I spent the day alternating between crying for no good reason, feeling murderously angry at my poor dear husband (who thankfully timed his phone calls so that when we actually spoke I was no longer ax-wielding), snapping at my children for being children, eating weird foods at any time except mealtime, and burying myself under the covers between math and grammar lessons. Around 3 p.m. I realized that what was needed was... chocolate. And a John Cusack double feature: Must Love Dogs, followed by High Fidelity. John Cusack is lovable, and Jack Black is the truest, most believable used-record-store-snob I have ever seen portrayed on film. He makes me laugh out loud.

My normal favorite movie is Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, but that was just a little too much real life for today. I needed fantasy escapist movies, not brutal reminders of the realities of love and life.

Chick flicks and chocolate. I am sure I have undone 3 good solid weeks of dieting and gained back in one day what it took 21 to lose. But some days nothing else will do.

5 Comments:

  • At 12:14 AM, Blogger Patty in WA or Rover said…

    Ummmm, maybe because you have been under a little *s-t-r-e-s-s* lately? Stretched too thin? Snap!

    Enjoy the chocolate. If you really need to lose weight you can join me on my diet on which I will lose weight but don't have any to lose! Sigh.

     
  • At 3:26 PM, Blogger Mamabird said…

    Oh, Patty, is your diet related to the allergy thing? Man, oh man. If I were dealing with what you are dealing with, I think I really *would* snap.

    My diet is simply the consequences of too much dessert and not enough veggies, lately. I'm not particularly motivated, but I was kind of in the zone, mentally. Until yesterday. But today I went for a run and worked hard during the day at getting back on track with my food choices.

    (Did have to have another handful of MnMs, though. As a reward for my run, of course. Wink.)

    K

     
  • At 8:40 PM, Blogger Patty in WA or Rover said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 6:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So sorry to here about your crummy day...chocolate, chick -flicks -and friends pretty much cures anything. I watched Sweet Home Alabama last weekend when dh was out of town. Laugh out loud humor if you are from the South! (cause I actually know people like that!)

     
  • At 7:53 PM, Blogger Kathryn said…

    John Cusack makes everything better.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home