I Hear the Baby Birds

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Summer Ends Soon

DH has a speaking gig this week in Florida, so I tagged along to link up with BFF Ruthie. The plan worked! We got several good hours yesterday and brought our hubbies along for dinner last night. Good food, good conversation... ahhh. This afternoon we're shooting for a little more best-friend time before I have to get ready for adoring wife duty tonight while DH is speaking.

Adoring wife duty is so easy when your DH is so freakin' smart and adorable! He's giving a speech he's totally revamped from its previous version, so we're both a little nervous. But secretly hopeful that this new and improved version will be a smashing success. There's going to be a guy in the audience who's job it is to decide whether to invite DH to a very large speaking gig later in the year, to thousands. No pressure. (Ha!)

When I get home we get a couple more days of freedom before two big events: 1) School starts back; and 2) Eldest Babybird turns 13. Event #2 is being commemorated in a new and different way this year - DH is taking the birthday boy on rite-of-passage trip. We've been talking a lot this year about what we can do to help usher our kids into adulthood, as our culture really has no meaningful rites or rituals that do the job well. So this trip will be a little experiment in the power of one-on-one father-son time focused on imparting to the son what it means to be a man. DH has done some advance planning for the conversations and experiences he wants the trip to include, but I imagine there will also be some of those unplanned adventures that happen on every big event. I can't wait to hear how it goes.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the younger two birds and I will start back to school. I know they're not that thrilled about the prospect, but I'm hoping to ease the transition with a couple of field trips or just plain fun trips. Maybe we'll hit the aquarium or take a trip up to North GA to hear some bluegrass or tube down a river. Haven't decided quite yet.

It's been a good summer. We didn't do the math and grammar I swore we would do, but that turned out to be good for all of us. Mamabird sure is refreshed, and you know what they say - if Mamabird ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

2 Comments:

  • At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If you take the babybirds to the aquarium, let me know. I'd love to join you with my own baby bird.

    -Laura Hawkins

     
  • At 10:59 AM, Blogger Mamabird said…

    Hey, FUN! We would love that. I'll see if I can get my act together and figure out when would work best.

    K

     

Post a Comment

<< Home