I Hear the Baby Birds

Friday, August 04, 2006

An Exclusive Blogher Conference in Orlando

Posted by Picasa

This is me, BFF Ruthie, and Cathy, Ruthie's blogging friend in Orlando whose wisdom is also funny (read her here). We had our own little informal blogging conference where Cathy explained to me what RSS feed does (oh! I get it now!) and exhorted me to post more often! (She's right - I've been really lax this summer.) But our blogging conference had no reporters or TV cameras, so it only lasted five minutes. No worries, though - Cathy spent the rest of the time making us laugh, at which she is really good. (Grin.) Visit her blog and read her story of her child and the red flip flops. Then the one down beneath it about her dream. Ha, ha ha ha ha.

DH did a BANG-UP job on his speech in Orlando. I was so proud! He's a born speaker as it is, but I was so proud of him because he never just rests on his natural abilities... he's constantly working to improve, to be more effective, as a communicator. That drive is a quality I have always admired in him.


DS's 13th birthday is only one day away, and he and DH leave on Monday for their big trip. As you can imagine, we will be pretty slammed between now and then. Mostly with laundry. And last minute trips to Target. Travel preparation never happens around here without at least three Target runs (the last one always because you forgot to get something crucial the last two times).

Coming soon, I'm going to talk about a new book I'm reading, Eat This Book by Eugene Peterson. And about some stuff I'm thinking about the cultural baggage of American Christianity (especially here in the South). If you have thoughts about either of these topics, feel free to comment ahead of time - I can always use a little push in getting started.

6 Comments:

  • At 4:40 PM, Blogger Patty in WA or Rover said…

    Contratters to your dh, and good for him that he doesn't rest on his oars. There's so much time to rest when we are old or dead and there's so little time to see what we can do here.

    Innnnnteresting that you are reading Eat This Book. I just put it on my list...along with the other 4 in the series, written and un-written. There was an interesting article about this series in a publication I get and it made me very interested. This same publication made me think very hard about my vote last time...not that it changed who I actually voted for, but it moved me to start thinking with Christian brains and ethics rather than Conservative or American brains and ethics. And it made it clear to me that there *are* some issues that trump others...not all are equal.

    I'm not going to post a long comment because I have posted THREE comments on your blog that have not "taken", and so I'll mete them out a bit until I see if they "take"--or go POOF!

    grin

     
  • At 4:43 PM, Blogger Patty in WA or Rover said…

    HEY! It worked!

    So, do you read Touchstone Magazine, or their blog, MereComments? If you do, you might have seen some interesting topics and comments on this very topic, about Christianity in America.

    Also, have you read Nancy Pearcey's Total Truth? Its mid-section concerns the history of the church in America...and it is quite interesting how much of our Christianity is derived from the Declaration of Independence! as our Sacred Scripture.

     
  • At 4:46 PM, Blogger Patty in WA or Rover said…

    Touchstone's blog is here: http://merecomments.typepad.com/. I just looked it over and there is more than I thought about what you are thinking about.

     
  • At 1:07 PM, Blogger Mamabird said…

    Oh, Patty, thank you! No, I haven't read Touchstone, but I will check out the blog you suggested. And I will try to find the link to a NYTimes article about a pastor who just recently told his church he was going to start separating his faith from his politics - he lost about a quarter of his congregation, but wow, his integrity. He was spot on.

    I'll try and find that link and also go and read yours. Then more!

    K

     
  • At 1:32 PM, Blogger Patty in WA or Rover said…

    Touchstone referenced and commented on that article...I thought it was interesting because it never *occurred* (sp) to me that so much of what passes for preaching is political posturing. The church I attend just doesn't DO that...

     
  • At 6:35 PM, Blogger Patty in WA or Rover said…

    http://www.renovare.org/readings_perspective_current.htm

    Check out this page...not the first page, not that it's bad, but it's not the point. Go to the interview with Eugene Peterson...page 2.

    I think you will find the rest of the issue *fascinating*.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home