I Hear the Baby Birds

Friday, June 30, 2006

Baby Daze

Last night we had some friends over for dinner that we haven't seen in over 2 years. They've had a baby since our last reunion, who is now about 22 months old, and was cute in that I-could-eat-you-for-breakfast-without-any-extra-sugar way, just utterly adorable. One thing really noticeable about her was that she is extra cuddly - the kind of kid who will crawl up on your lap and melt into your body and tuck her head into the crook of your neck. And she latched onto DH like he was her long-lost brother for whom she'd been pining away all her life and oh! the reunion!

This really cracked me up (in between my fits of jealously, as she would have NOTHING to do with me!), because generally DH is the kind of dad who loves kids most after they turn 2 or 3 and can walk and talk and tell you what's wrong and play frisbee. Babies, not so much. But if there were ever a toddler that could make DH change his mind about the species, it would be this one. I could almost see the question flitting through his mind: "Hmm, we're not too old for one more, are we?" Such was the power of this little baby girl.

No, not too old. But... wow, how weird it would feel to start all over again. We've given back the baby furniture we borrowed, sold the swings and car seats, donated the little baby shoes that got worn once. We're all about baseball and sleepovers and bikes with no training wheels and pool freedom (you know, where you can take your kids to the pool and never even have to get in the water, if you don't want to, because they all swim! In the deep end!). And math facts and Sponge Bob and ghost stories. You know, the good stuff. You put up with strollers and potty-training so you can get to THIS part.

I love babies, I'll admit it. But it's a little hard to imagine going back. Having a baby now would be nothing at all like it was back then, so new and life-changing and frightening and all-consuming. I like things the way they are. Besides, it's only, say, 15 or 20 years before I get (gulp) GRANDCHILDREN. (Yes, I'm presuming. They'd all darn well better get married and have kids, as THEY OWE ME for all the times I cleaned up their vomit in the middle of the night.)

So, I believe I'll be sticking with borrowing other people's babies. Especially the cute and cuddly ones.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home