I Hear the Baby Birds

Thursday, June 01, 2006

The Diaper Dance

When my middle bird was about 3 years old, we were sitting at the dinner table one night listening to his older brother (4) whine and complain. I no longer remember what upset eldest brother so much that night, but I will never forget his little brother's response. Without a word, he crawled down off his chair, wearing only his diaper and the jelly on his face, and began spinning around the kitchen, arms flailing, singing:

"The Diaper Dance! The Diaper Dance! The Radi-o-ac-tive Diaper Dance!" (He said radi-o-ac-tive just like in the old Spiderman cartoon theme song.)

I wish I had taken a picture of him that night, but I was too busy doubled over laughing. We laughed so hard we could have squirted milk out of our noses. Even now, when someone is grumpy, someone will occasionally do the Diaper Dance Chant. (No one's in diapers around here anymore, so the Dance has become sadly obsolete. Or maybe that's not sad. Anyway.)


I don't know why that scene has been on my mind so much lately, but it has. DS has remained his cute, hilarious self, sensitive to his brother's needs and looking for ways to help him. Yeah, they argue and fight. But what a great gift to have a brother who'll make up silly dances just to cheer you up. Friends are friends for a short time, but siblings are forever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home