I Hear the Baby Birds

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

This week MFS at MMV posted a funny little exchange with her daughters and then mused...

You know how I know that I'm doing good work here? Nah, none of those obvious things. I know I'm doing good work because I often think to myself, "Sh-! If I were home educated, I'd want me for a parent-teacher. I. Am. Awesome."

Ayup.

It struck me that a variation on this musing would be a good pep-talk for those days when I just. don't. feel. like. It. (teaching, that is). You know what I mean - those days you wake up and would so NOT like to teach your kids that you decide to clean the oven. Or call the dentist to see if he can do that root canal you've been putting off. Or, Hey, look! The bathroom grout is filthy! Better get out the bleach and toothbrush!

Instead of going into supercleaning mode, next time I'm going to ask myself, "If YOU were the student here, would you want YOU for a teacher?"

Most of the time, I'm approaching home-education from what *I* need to accomplish. And I don't thing that's a bad thing - it's part of my responsibility to my kids. They don't know what they don't know, and they need the guidance of someone more experienced - someone who knows what they need - to lead them. However... I know their lessons would be improved if I could remember to consider, from time to time, their perspective. As in... Am I boring? Am I communicating in such a way that they find this enjoyable? Or am I passing on the dread disease of monotony?

This is not something that comes naturally to me - either teaching, or figuring out ways to make our lessons more interesting. (Ways that I will actually put into practice, not ignore because they intimidate me.) If any of you have any words of wisdom about how to make that process easier, I welcome them.

5 Comments:

  • At 9:27 PM, Blogger Patty in WA or Rover said…

    I can sooo relate to this. It's occurred to me that I'm a titch burned out on this...but that is NOT an excuse to bail on my kid who deserves a good teacher, even as I deserve his efforts to be a good student. (It is also to be noted that the two go hand in hand, but I will not dare to name which is the chicken and which is the egg.)

    Let's noodle on this one. It's a good topic.

    One thing that has been a help in our group is that we have a *wonderful* TEACHER--she is the one who posts as Frogpond1 on TWTM--and she inspires us every meeting with some great idea she just hatched out of nowhere--well, out of her boundless creativity. I learn a lot from others who *are* talented and engaging teachers, even as they learn from me in the areas where I am strong... But in the day to day, it's hard not be envious.

     
  • At 6:25 PM, Blogger Dy said…

    I'm comin' up with nothing. I tend to get a bit Julius Ceasar, and have to keep that in check. Other than that, though, I'm always on the lookout for great ideas b/c I am completely bereft of them when it comes to this.

    Dy

     
  • At 6:55 PM, Blogger melissa said…

    Well, for cryin' out loud! I forgot all about coming here! I am SOooo puttin you on my sidebar.

    This is a tough one. As for me, some of it's boring and a bit monotonous, and some of it is more interesting. I DO try to choose curricula that I, as the teacher , relate to and can get excited about. I think that my general enthusiasm (or lack thereof) tends to be contagious. I wish that I could sit and listen to Frogpond 1 !!
    You know, if all else fails, you could just remind them of the monotonous,drudgery of public school work from time to time...just a thought.....works for me! ;-)

     
  • At 5:28 AM, Blogger Mamabird said…

    Ha! You're all singin' my song. I've tried three times to compose a reply to Patty and gotten stymied every time, because I don't even know where to start. Is it even possible to train myself into becoming Interesting Teacher of the Year? Makes my stomach hurt just thinking about it. Sigh. I like your idea, Melissa - perhaps that's where I should begin, reminding them how awful they would have it somewhere else! (grin)

    And Dy - don't even THINK about taking on an effort like this right now. Lord Knows you have enough on your plate.

    Karen

     
  • At 12:27 PM, Blogger Patty in WA or Rover said…

    Letter from BoyBob to Grandma:

    "I am doing a lot of school work and I hate it! But I have a really fun teacher."

    Brown-noser.

    And the reason his school work takes all day is that this is how he does it:

    Look at math problem.
    Drop pencil.
    Pick up pencil.
    Wander to look out window.
    Sit down upon hearing barking Mother.
    Look at math problem.
    Complain.
    Diddle.
    Diddle some more.
    Write one number.
    Drop pencil.

    Lather rinse repeat.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home