I Hear the Baby Birds

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

We interrupt this crisis...

A brief interlude here to respond to comments from the last post, because they were really good comments that sparked more thought for me, but they would take me down a different rabbit trail than where I think Part 3 is going to go.

Melissa in Virginia said, “I struggle with that simplest of all solutions: Trust God to work in their lives......and then do my job FOR HIM.” Yep. That whole trusting God thing is part of my problem. It is easy for me to let homeschooling be a form of self-righteousness that I put all my faith in, a way to get out of needing Him in my life. That’s part of the reason I wanted to discuss it here, because in a way I’m naming an idol: I’m recognizing my tendency to turn to another curriculum, or to homeschooling in general, instead of to God. I want to depend on myself and my resources instead of on Him. “Thanks, God, I can take it from here. I’ve got Shurley Grammar to help me!” (grin)


Patty in WA said, "I think there is also something about homeschooling that shows a big light on MY imperfection. I would rather read blogs than teach grammar..." Yes, yes, YES! The IDEA of homeschooling is so much more appealing than the REALITY. I don't know how many times last year I started school later than I intended, just because the thought of sitting down to one more Saxon lesson felt just. so. boring. Much of the year I had to "power through" rather than participate in, joyfully. Duty and drudgery, not discovery and delight. Ah! Ano ah-hah! moment! The duty and drudgery are the fruit of abiding in myself and not in Christ!


That's part of why I'm wrestling with all of this right now. I don't want another year of duty and drudgery. I think the key is this heart examination, and honesty. You have to name the monster in order to know how to fight it.

Part 3 is coming soon. Thanks for discussing this with me.


2 Comments:

  • At 7:00 PM, Blogger melissa said…

    Soooo....what are you sayin'? Shurley Grammar ISN'T the answer? ;-)
    Can't wait for part three. You've really got me thinkin'...

     
  • At 7:41 AM, Blogger Dy said…

    You have quoted two of my favorite ladies, there. They are both very wise, very honest. I've been so blessed to receive both encouragement and prayer from both of them, and it makes such a difference.

    I've had to learn to let go mostly out of self-preservation. Not the best way to learn, but, well, I'm stubborn. Thankfully, I tug and struggle until my grip slips and I fall on my rear, God is right there to pick me up, dust me off, turn me in the right direction and hold my hand... as long as I don't pop right back up and grab that tug-o-war rope again.

    Anxiously awaiting part 3!
    Dy

     

Post a Comment

<< Home