I Hear the Baby Birds

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Spiritual Gardening

How long, O naive ones, will you love simplicity?
And scoffers delight themselves in scoffing,
And fools hate knowledge?
Turn to my reproof,
Behold, I will pour out my spirit on you;
I will make my words known to you.
Solomon, Proverbs 1:22-23

Decided to read out of Proverbs today because it has been too long since I have saturated myself in wisdom. On Sunday at church we took communion, which has become precious to me, not in the sentimental sense of the word; it made me realize I had been taking a vacation from growing, and I needed to get back to the real business of becoming who I am supposed to be. And the only way to do that is to do it.

No, I'm not saying "I" do it. I know that true spiritual growth is a work of grace, that I can no more make myself grow than I can make a flower grow. I believe that sanctification is something God does in me, not something I can work toward on my own.

But I can water and fertilize and compost and till, and I have neglected these activities for a while. Time to pull a few weeds and start cultivating my heart again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home