I Hear the Baby Birds

Saturday, June 11, 2005

Ergonomic Engineering

I'm redoing my homeschool room over the summer. I figured out that I am not enjoying working in that room. Therefore I am not enjoying school - the actual work of homeschooling. It's so, like, EVERY DAY! (grin) But the room contributes to the dread.

Which, if you took a quick glance at this room, sounds crazy! It's huge! It's a dream homeschool room! It's the entire length of our garage, with two dormer windows and those walls that slant in toward the ceiling, but the ceiling's high enough that you don't feel closed in. And last summer I painted it a really cheerful green, and it has some beadboard paneling, so it looks nice. And it's full of books and educational toys and stuff. But...

There's no place for me to sit by the kids while they work... and no comfortable place from which to read to them... and the books and stuff are organized, but not in a way that makes them easy to find and then put away... and the papers! They just multiply exponentially! So it's time to rethink the whole layout of the room.

So... one thing I've done is get a daybed. We had two twin mattresses in the basement that the boys used in their old rooms, before we moved; so I bought a frame and put those mattresses to use. Voila! Instant sofa. Next... move the table out of the dormer window nook and nab a chair from dh's office. Now! I have a place to sit next to dd while she practices handwriting. So far, so good. I think the next thing will be a new computer desk. The one I have now is the little cheap chipboard thing I got from Target a couple of years ago for, like, 39.99. Time to go uptown and spring for the newer, bigger, 99.99 model! Seriously - I just need a desk with some actual work space. And maybe a drawer or two.

Still don't know what to do about all those papers, though.

I will see about posting a picture when I get the whole thing done. I love seeing pictures of other people's schoolrooms. You always get good ideas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home