I Hear the Baby Birds

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Back to Our Regularly Scheduled Life

I am ever amazed at the rejuvenating effect of a little vacation upon my homeschool spirit.

This week the boys have a week off from their weekly classes at The Classical School, but they still have assignments to complete. This, to me, is the perfect combination - they have much work to do, but plenty of time to do it. We started yesterday. I took their lists and divided them into daily assignments. We discussed the necessity of following the daily lists religiously - how work isn't so bad if you do it steadily and diligently, but is overwhelming if you let it pile up. Then we got to work.

Math? Check. Book reports? Begun. Grammar? Check. Science? Under control. This, my friends, is a good feeling.


And today we are going to hit Latin. I've decided that every day we will give a joint lesson in a different subject, to break up the same-old. Yesterday I read the Science lesson aloud and then they did their worksheet. (They do this every week to get ready for the weekly Friday experiments.) Today, we'll have Latin Drill, a game we made up that the boys love, to my amazement. I call out vocab words or ask for declensions or conjugations. They shout out the answers if they know them. It's Mom against Boys - and chocolate chips for the winner. (And the loser, too, if she's Mom.)

I think I'm also bouyed by the knowledge that we only have three weeks of hard work to go before another nice, long, break at Christmas. Perfect! Anyone can do the routine for three weeks if they know there are presents and cookies waiting for them at the end of it.

Hmmm. Maybe we should do school this way ALL the time. Three weeks on - one week of presents and cookies. Any takers?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home