I Hear the Baby Birds

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Shoulder to the Wheel (and red pen to the papers)

This week I am in full editor mode.

Mornings, I am editing little compositions... a fictional story featuring da Vinci and Michelangelo written by 7th grade ds. An essay on his favorite Greek heroes by 5th grade ds. Her first, middle, and last names, spelled correctly and properly capitalized, by 1st grade dd. And corrections of the number 9, which for some reason this week has become much more difficult to form correctly than it was last week. (Go figure.)

Evenings is when the real fun begins. I think I mentioned a while back that I've been typesetting. Well, what I've been typesetting is DH's book. This is a book we publish through our business and use in the classes we teach. It's been out for a few years now, but this year he had to rewrite it completely to make it compatible with new standards in our industry.

You would think that having written, typeset, edited, and published a book before would make it easier to do a second time. And yes... it is easier in the sense that there is less of a learning curve in figuring out how to do everything that needs to be done. And yet... the last time, there was no deadline looming. There were no middle school children whose school demands could not be put off. There were no other employees needing time and attention and no company to run and people to meet with and fires to put out. It was just us.

I had forgotten how never-ending this process seems. You go through what you think is your final copy with a fine-tooth comb... only to discover that your comb has, in fact, big ol' wide gaps between its teeth! You print out another copy, just SURE that this time you won't find any more glaring errors. Ooops, there's another whole area you just MISSED last time. Maybe you need glasses. Or more coffee. 'Cause it's going to be a loooonnnnnggggg night, again.

Sigh.... I sound more whiny than I actually feel. The truth is, as tedious as editing and re-editing is, I am very grateful to have a livelihood that lets us work independently and allows DH lots of family time. Sure, we are in a crunch right now, but these times are few and far between and we really can see the light at the end of this particular tunnel. And I appreciate knowing that I am making a real, tangible contribution to our family livelihood. Our business depends on all of us - dh, me, even the kids. (Ds 1 is our shipping clerk, and Ds 2 was just hired to help with book packaging and class prep.)

But... when all this is over and the book is delivered to the printer... I want a steak dinner. Or a spa day. Maybe both.

1 Comments:

  • At 5:40 AM, Blogger Mama Heffalump said…

    Now would be a good time to think about that Stress Management class, mamabird! *wink*

     

Post a Comment

<< Home